lördag 22 mars 2014

Reading log 2 - Brave New World

There are several different conflicts in the novel Brave New World. There are conflicts of both cases, internal conflicts and external conflicts.

Bernard Marx, who I assume is the main character, is struggling within himself. He considers himself not good as the other Alpha-Plus males. He has a slender proportion and is much shorter. Moreover, he has not the “favorite girl type” look. “Bernard hypocritically agreed, wishing, as he spoke the words, that he could have as many girls as Helmholz did, and with as little trouble. He was seized with a sudden urgent need to boast. Im taking Lenina Crone to New Mexico with me, he said in a tone as casual as he could make it, p58-59”. By reading these sentences, I got the sentiment of Bernards attempt of trying to impress another Alpha-Plus male. Who has a good register of being with several women.


Bernard Marx is not psychological right to correspond in a world as Central London hatchery and conditioning center. Due to that he wants to be independent and to fulfill his desires. However, in a world like London hatchery and conditioning center, liberty is the last word you should describe the society. “In a different key, How can I? he repeated meditatively. No, the real problem is: How is it that I can´t, or rather because, after all, I know quite well why I can´t – what would it be like if I could, if I were free – not enslaved by conditioning. But Bernard, you´re saying the most awful things. Don´t you wish you were free, Lenina? I don´t know what you mean. I am free. Free to have the most wonderful time. Everybody´s happy nowadays. He laughed, Yes, Everybody´s happy nowadays. We begin giving the children that at five. But wouldn´t you like to be free to be happy in some other way, Lenina? In your own way…p78-79” Moreover, sometimes Bernard did not take the happy pill, soma. Which made him sometimes questioned the life at hatchery and conditioning center. His doubt resulted into external conflicts. The Director was not pleased with Bernard´s behavior, that he threatened him with a transfer to Iceland, if he did not behaved better. “And I should like to take this opportunity, Mr. Marx, he went on, of saying that I´m not at all pleased with the reports I receive of your behavior outside working hours […] If ever I hear again of any lapse from a proper standard of infantile decorum, I shall ask for your transference to a Sub-Center – preferably to Iceland, p84-85”

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar